Global Mandarin is seeking a smart, savvy staff writer for Wainao|WHYNOT, a Mandarin digital news magazine for young Chinese-speaking audience around the world. Our ideal candidate is self-motivated and versatile in covering different news topics and events.
- Cover news events that drive Wainao’s audience’s interests.
- Brainstorm with the team to develop new ideas to improve Wainao’s quality and performance.
- Pitch and execute longer form stories in different formats such as features, interviews, commentary and/or editorial opinions.
- Contribute to Waiano’s monthly Very Special Report and other special projects from topic selection, development to plan and execution.
- Cultivate and grow a diverse base of reliable sources. Identify and pursue the most relevant interviewees for a story or for obtaining supporting material.
- Contribute to video script writing, as well as social media posts, promotion campaigns and other projects as assigned.
- Engage and moderate in social media and Wainao’s discussion forum as assigned.
- Perform editorial tasks such as web editing and proofreading.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the director and senior editors.
- BA in Journalism or related fields.
- Minimum 2 years feature writing experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Broad, deep knowledge of China related issues.
How to Apply:
Submit a portfolio of your strongest work along with a cover letter and résumé via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Global Mandarin Staff Writer” in the subject line
Global Mandarin is a new digital media platform by Radio Free Asia that aims to inform and engage with young Mandarin-speaking audiences around the world.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.